|Saoirse Ronan stars in Lady Bird|
Not a great year, but a pretty good one. Here's what I liked (best) in 2017.
1. Lady Bird - Touching coming-of-age story, with an award-worthy performance by Laurie Metcalf.
2. Get Out - Sly satire of black/white relations.
3. Phantom Thread - 1950s fashion designer Daniel Day-Lewis discovers his strangest desire.
4. I, Tonya - Margot Robbie knocked my socks off as Tonya Harding.
5. The Post - Meryl Streep (as Katherine Graham) risks her fortune, testing the First Amendment.
6. Darkest Hour - Gary Oldman is award-worthy as Winston Churchill, inspiring England to fight in WWII.
7. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri - Frances McDormand avenges her daughter.
8. The Lost City of Z - Thrilling adventure/mystery in the Amazon.
9. The Big Sick - Family dynamics and the power of romance.
10. Wonder Woman - Superhero delight, thanks to charismatic Gal Gadot.
Honorable Mention: Call Me by Your Name, Columbus, Mudbound, Stronger, Thank You for Your Service and Wind River